AN ECO-DETERGENT THAT GROWS ON TREES: These berry shells grow on the Sapindus mukorossi (Soap Berry) tree in the Himalayas and they naturally contains a cleaning agent that works like detergent, called saponin. Saponin is amazing at penetrating the fibres of your clothes, lifting stains from the fabric that is then rinsed away. Nature is an amazing chemist, isn't it!
KIND TO SENSITIVE SKINS AND ALLERGY SUFFERERS: Soap Nuts are a gentle yet efficient solution for many people with skin allergies and other conditions, including eczema and dermatitis, as they are completely free from artificial foaming agents.
FRESH AND CLEAN LAUNDRY WITHOUT POLLUTING THE PLANET: Soapnuts are highly-effective to get most stains out of your clothes while the lack of aggressive chemicals will keep your colours bright, and your fabric alive for much longer. They can be used on all fabrics and washing machines, especially energy-efficient ones.
KICK START YOUR GREEN LAUNDRY AND MUCH MORE: Soap nuts work at all temperatures from 30. C - 90. C. Get the best out of their natural cleaning properties by putting them in a mug with hot water just before using them, or make liquid soap that can also be used as a natural pesticide for your plants, shampoo and even a general cleaner for your home! Discover all our tips by clicking on the "How to Use" tab!
When our little girl turned one, she suddenly developed Eczema. We tried so many changes both in our diet and in our daily habits, and one of the things that made her condition improve massively was the swapping of supermarket cleaning products with natural, organic alternatives.
Chemicals in laundry detergents made her skin itchy and led to frequent flare-ups, but when we started using natural Soapnuts, the change in her skin was almost unbelievable!
- Soapnuts are very commonly used by people of India and surrounding countries to wash clothes and as a naturally produced shampoo.
- This bag will last for approx 240 washes.
- Soapnuts are highly effective and gentle at the same time. It will leave your laundry fresh and clean.
- Please keep in mind there are no added chemical agents, so if you have particularly dirty clothes we recommend soaking them in water beforehand and apply soap on the toughest stains.
- Soapnuts can be used on all fabrics and at all temperatures from 30 Degrees C - 90 Degrees C.
- A great detergent alternative for allergy sufferers and people with skin conditions, including eczema, dermatitis and very dry skin.
- Inside the bag, there will be a mix of whole and broken shells. This does not affect the efficacy of the soapnuts. There also may be a variation of colours due to the time the soapnuts were harvested, which also doesn't affect their efficacy.
Pure 100% Organic Sapindus Mukorossi (soapnut) dried fruit shells
100% unbleached cotton muslin bag for machine-washing
HOW TO USE
- Put approx 4-6 in a muslin bag (or any mesh bag), add a few drops of essential oil if you want to add scent to your laundry.
- If you use them with cold water (below 30 degrees) kick start their natural cleaning properties by putting them in a mug with hot water prior to use.
- Close the bag and pop into the washing machine with your clothing.
- You can use the same bag of soap nuts 5-6 times before putting them in the compost. Once they start to turn grey and soft that’s when you replace them.
- Boil 15-20 soapnuts with 6 cups of water for 20 mins, then add another 2 more cups of water, boil for a further 10 minutes. Once again add 2 more cups of water and boil for 10 more minutes.
- Strain the liquid and allow to cool.
- You must keep this soapnut liquid in the fridge. It will last up to two weeks.
- You can use liquid soapnut for shampoo, face wash, multi-purpose cleaner and natural pesticide.
You can use the same soapnuts for approx 4-6 washes, once they start they start to turn dull grey and the shells become flimsy you can go right ahead and place them in your compost as they are 100% biodegradable
Living Naturally Soap Nuts come in a reusable, biodegradable muslin bag.
All EarthBits packaging is 100% plastic-free and recyclable, using recycled or reused cardboard boxes, recycled/recycling paper and recyclable tape. Please re-use your packaged box should you need to send something else to a friend, family or for your business, or as a storage box in the house. Upcycling is one of our favourite zero-waste habits here at EarthBits!
MEET LIVING NATURALLY
Dealing with their child eczema since a very young age, Living Naturally founders soon learnt that they needed to keep things simple.
They did this by eliminating certain foods and toxins from their diet and their lives, trying to live a more mindful and cruelty-free life and teaching their children about how and why to make these choices.
As part of their radical (to some) natural lifestyle change, they were introduced to Soapnuts as a possible solution for eczema by a few family members and began using them to clean everything in the house. When they saw eczema getting better they realised how amazing these ancient soapy fruits were!
Living Naturally was found and started selling soapnuts in 2009. The founders knew they couldn't be the only ones looking for a more natural, organic, biodegradable, hypoallergenic, sustainable and environmentally friendly answer to cleaning the house, clothes and everything else in between.